I’m going to start publishing a monthly recap at the end of each month detailing my habits, projects, and tinkerings. Inspired by my coworker Jeremey (I’m mimicking his format).
It’s been a few weeks since I’ve posted last, I guess I got a bit lazy after my consecutive streak ended. It’s time to start the streak again.
November was the first month since March that I didn’t travel at all during the month. Most of those months were short trips, but I’ve still traveled a fair bit in 2015.
- Learn to type Dvorak. Partial win. What’s Dvorak, you ask? It’s an alternative keyboard layout where the keys are more ergonomically placed. I started the month typing at speeds of almost 30 WPM. Today, I’m averaging more than 45 WPM.
- Continue to become stronger / build endurance. Win. I’ve been going to CrossFit every week day and I’m slowly mastering all of the moves and adding more weight to the bar.
- Read three books. At the beginning of the year, I set a goal of reading 12 non-fiction books and I’ve gotten a bit behind. It’s still possible to hit the goal by reading about a book a week in December.
What habits did I focus on?
- Learning Dvorak. I’ve spent more than 10 hours working on drills to make me a faster typer. I’ll see the benefits of being able to type at more than 80 WPM soon 🙂
What did I publish?
- Zero blog posts on this blog
- Four new podcast episodes were published on YourWebsiteEngineer.com
Books I Read:
Looking forward to November
Goals I want to complete:
- Take an online course to master GitHub. I want to learn how to properly make a pull request and fix broken code or add enhancements.
- Outline the content for Your Website Engineer. The hardest part about producing a weekly show is coming up with the ideas. I want to map out next year so I can be ready to create podcasts and videos for my audience.
- Type at 70+ WPM by the end of the month. It’s frustrating to type so slow.
- Daily Blogging. I want to post something here every day.
Habit I want to focus on:
Inbox Zero. I maintained inbox zero daily for the first few months of 2015, but let this habit slip as well. My goal is to completely empty my inbox at least Monday-Friday (goal of 20 times in the month).
2 thoughts on “November 2015: Monthly Review”
Came from your main site! Amazing that you got so much done!! Like you, I work from home (telecommuting), and have one young kid (6 yo), but don’t really have much time left “to do my stuff”. I probably should follow you and start publishing a monthly recap to hold myself accountable…
That’s my plan and I wanted to see if it works.
Also, it will help me to create more content for this blog 🙂