A sample run of both the car seats in their bags. Too bad I have to unpack them so the kids can ride in them to the airport, then pack them back up before flying.
The weirdest thing I did today was sell at blender on Craigslist at my daughter’s swimming lessons.
I even had to plug it in in front of other parents to demo that it worked 😂
I woke up to an email from Delta letting me know they upgraded the first leg of my journey home to first class.
I’m pretending that they think I’m extra special and will get upgraded on every flight from now on. 😂
I barely use social media, but I’m hearing all kinds of things about this upcoming eclipse on Monday.
- Overheard someone at church say that their school is taking a calamity day on Monday due to the eclipse
- Our babysitter mentioned using a cereal box to make the viewing lens
- Someone in Dayton bought all of the eclipse glasses from Kroger stores and is selling them out of random parking lots around the city
- I’ve read an article about how people regret looking directly at the sun at one of the eclipses in the 1970s and now I’m paranoid that when I see a fuzzy spot in my eye I’ve somehow sunburnt my eye
- My wife is telling me that my plan of using a welding helmet is not safe enough to look directly at the sun
- What takes the cake is that my Nest Thermostat wanted to know if I wanted to participate in Eclipse Rush Hour to save energy
Maybe it will be cloudy on Monday and all this hype will be for naught.
I’ve been working this month on a few CrossFit goals and I’m making good progress on handstand pushups.
Push Ups – been working on these sporadically. Probably could get 30 straight (in one set only)
Handstand push ups – I got six unbroken today, which is well on my way to my goal of 10 straight
Handstand walk – blah. This one is hard. I have a hard time committing to the handstand and usually fall back on my feet.
Muscle Ups – I did a ring MU with a four pound medicine ball between my feet, so I’m definitely getting stronger. Tomorrow’s WOD had 5-4-3-2-1 of muscle ups and I’m going to try to go unbroken.
This has been on my Your Website Engineer to do list for a very long time!
Display customer and client testimonials to promote your work or business.
I’ve been following the hundred push-ups challenge, in attempts it be able to do more of them.
So far, I’m halfway thru week 4 and doing well!
I have gotten pretty decent at most CrossFit moves, but I’m focusing on four in particular in August to get better.
- Push Ups. This is one of the easiest to work on and I always feel dead after about 20 in a WOD. I’d like to be able to get 50 straight by the end of the month
- Handstand Push Ups. Goal: 10 unbroken kipping
- Handstand walk. I’m pretty terrible at this now. Would love to be able to walk 20 feet by the end of the month
- Muscle ups. 10 unbroken bar muscle ups. My current best is 4, so bit of a work to do
My plan is to stay after class a bit each day to work on a skill.
Each month I have a reminder to write down a summary of what happened during the month, and each month, I snooze it until next month. But not today 🙂
Lots went on in July. Here’s some of the highlights.
- First full* month back to work after paternity leave. *I didn’t actually work the full month and had plenty of days off.
- I grew some gigantic zucchini
- Ate donuts and travelled to Nashville for the weekend
- Started checking my email less, and when I do check it, plow thru all the messages
- Started working on my Spanish with the Memrise app
- Hosted a block party at our house to meet some of the neighbors we’ve never talked to in the seven years we’ve lived at our house
- Celebrated 10 years of marriage
- Competed in my first ever CrossFit competiton and was sore for a good 5 days
- Started to up my programming skills by using Apple’s Swift Playgrounds. It’s almost like a game and super fun
- Our son turned 4 months, began rolling and nearly has two bottom teeth
In July I read two fiction books and parts of several non-fiction books. I completed:
- Camino Island by John Grisham
- No Middle Name: short stories about Jack Reacher by Lee Child
I’m still working thru Tim Ferris’ Tools of the Titans and Deep Work by Cal Newport. Let’s see if I can finish these up by the end of the month.
Found with workout that will be great for traveling.
*Complete each exercise 25 and repeat circuit 4 times for 1000 reps:
- Mountain Climbers
- Body Squats
- Left Side Lunges
- Right Side Lunges
- Body Weight Dips
- Jumping Jacks
- Plank Shoulder Taps
Could be a fun weekend project for an upcoming WordCamp talk.
If you’ve read our guide on how to make a website, you may be wondering what to do next to improve your skills. Making a photo slideshow is a surprisingly easy task, and one that can teach you valuable skills needed to get a programming job. Today I’ll be showing you how to build a […]
I tried out Apple’s Swift Playgrounds app on my iPad today and I’m surprised at how fun it is.
It’s a bit sluggish on my iPad Mini 2, but still worth playing.
I’m now learning how to write functions to make the little creature move, collect gems and toggle switches.
If you are interested in programming, check out this free app.
Today I participated in our gyms annual CrossFit competition.
It was really hard. Yeah, really hard. But it was fun too.
We were on teams of four, two guys and two girls. And I agreed to be on a RX team, which is basically signing up for pain 😜
Here were the four events.
Event 1 – B17: Flying Fortress
This is a Bombers CrossFit special. I’ve done the workout twice in a scaled fashion, never the RX.
The workout was five rounds of 17 back squats at 135 lbs and a 400 meter run.
The tricky part was that we had to all squat in formation at the same time. The first few rows were okay, but rounds 3, 4, and 5 destroyed my legs.
Event 2 – Skills Competition
In this round there were four max effort events that each team mate had to do one of the following moves:
- Max rep muscle ups
- Max deadlift
- Max standing high jump
- Max L Sit hold
I was drafted to do the standing high jump. And even though it was 30+ minutes after the first event, my legs hadn’t recovered.
I ended up getting 21 inches which was just short of 10 feet in the air. If I could have a step to approach, I’m sure I could have gotten 25+ inches.
This was a partner workout of back-to-back-to-back girl workouts:
- Karen (150 wall balls)
- Annie (50-40-30-20-10 double unders and sit ups)
- Fran (21-15-9 thrusters and pull ups)
We had a pretty good strategy and I had a super human partner.
I did 30 wall balls, then Travis did 90, then I finished it off with 30 more and Karen was finished.
I moved straight to Annie and did 50 double unders and 50 sit ups. Travis did the next two rounds of 40 and 30 and I completed the last rounds of 20 and 10.
Finally Travis did the hard pars of Fran, 21 thrusters, 21 pull ups and 15 thrusters. Then I did the rest of 15 pull ups and 9 thrusters and 9 pull ups.
We got second in this workout and we were all exhausted by the end of it.
Event 4 – The Obstacle Course
This was a goofy short event where we had to pull a sled with 180 lbs on it and maneuver around obstacles and twice pick the sled up and carry it over an obstacle.
The twist on this one was we had to all for be touching the whole time.
Since we had super strong Travis, he picked the sled up himself and we got first on this one.
Today we celebrated our ten year anniversary.
Usually we would have liked to celebrate with a trip to somewhere with a beach, but with little man only being 4 months old, figured we’d postpone a trip until next year.
So our every-five-year-picture-in-a-picture was a boring shot in our backyard.
And as a tradition, I didn’t buy any gifts or a card (as cards are an expensive waste of someone else’s words) but wrote a poem in Melody’s book of cards.
Happy 10 Year Anniversary!
Did you know that we’ve been married for 521 weeks / 315 million seconds?
Time for a poem to celebrate 🙂
Ten years ago it was a day
straight from heaven
We got to celebrate with our
friends in 2007
Nine years ago we
adjusted to married life,
we lived on a college campus
as husband and wife
Eight years ago we
bought something new
a new car for us
that definitely wasn’t blue
Seven years ago we
moved to the city
that place in Galena
sure was pretty
Six years ago we
moved out ‘west’
so far I can say
I like this house best
Five years ago we
took a trip to paradise
the hiking and the beaches
certainly were nice
Four years ago we
went to Spain and more
lugged suitcases around
and wished to stay on the first floor
Three years ago we
got ready for baby one
before kids, remember
how much we could get done?
Two years ago we
had fun with our first baby
oh that time was a delight,
but she was such a crybaby
One year ago we
were in Spain on a fun trip
we explored a lot on planes,
trains, busses but not a ship
Now it’s time to
celebrate year number ten
I can believe how much
has happened since then
Junk stores, blogs, and
speaking gigs oh my
I’m excited to see the other
things that will make the years pass by
Thank you for being
on this journey with me
maybe on our 20th
we can spend it in Hawaii
Transmit is my favorite utility for FTP and connecting to other cloud accounts and today Transmit 5 make things so much nicer!
Panic at have released a great update to my favorite file transfer app: Seven years after the first release of Transmit 4, our well-loved and widely-used macOS file transfer app, we sat down with an incredibly exhaustive list of ideas, and — this’ll sound like I’m exaggerating but I’m mostly sure I’m not — we […]
We’ve been saying for awhile that we need to form relationships with people who live near us and this weekend we got an opportunity to do that.
On Saturday morning, my wife hosted a group of moms who came over, with their kids and let the kids roam free in our backyard.
Then, in the evening, we hosted a block party for our whole street. I’m ashamed to say, we met some of neighbors for the very first time, even though we’ve lived here for nearly seven years.
Of the 21 houses on our cul-de-sac, we had seven families stop in throughout the evening. It was a lot of fun and we will have to do it again.
We are going to be intentional about getting to know more of our neighborhood and spend at least part of a weekend each month hosting neighbors at our house.